My name is Lorraine Foley. I am currently studying a Higher Certificate in Business online. I am nominating myself for the role of Diversity and Inclusion officer. The reason for running for this role is because I am hearing impaired, and I know how it feels to be excluded and ignored daily. I want to bring my experiences to ATU and fight any inequality and injustice among our college community.
As a Diversity and Inclusion Officer for the Atlantic Technological University, my mission is to be committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students, faculty, and staff.
In pursuit of this goal, I offer the following manifesto:
- Celebrate Diversity: I will celebrate the diversity of our college community and recognise that our differences are what make us stronger. I will actively seek out and welcome individuals from diverse backgrounds and ensure that our college is inclusive and welcoming to all. To achieve this, I want to create a calendar to which mark the days students wish to have recognised.
- Create Safe Spaces: I will create safe spaces where students, faculty, and staff can share their experiences and concerns related to diversity and inclusion. I will ensure that all members of our college community feel heard and valued, and that their contributions are recognised and appreciated. I would like to create a club or society, that welcomes students from all backgrounds, to meet and create friendships and speak of our experiences so together no one feels alone.
- Foster Inclusion: I will create an environment where everyone feels comfortable and encouraged to express their views, ideas, and concerns without fear of discrimination or bias. I will actively listen to and respect the opinions of others and strive to create a culture of inclusion. I want anyone within the college to feel they have someone to speak to. I will dedicate my time to listen to anyone who needs it.
- Provide Training and Education: I will provide ongoing training and education to all members of our college community on topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. This includes providing resources and support for students, faculty, and staff who may feel marginalised or excluded. I plan to do this by sending emails out to educate our college on the many diverse backgrounds that are present in our college.
- Challenge Bias: I recognise that bias can be unconscious and unintentional, but I also know that it can be harmful and limiting. I invite you all to actively challenge your own biases and work to eliminate them from our college community. We will also work to address any systemic biases that exist within our college.
- Hold Ourselves Accountable: ATU will hold ourselves accountable for creating a college environment that is inclusive and welcoming to all. We will regularly review our progress and adjust as needed to ensure that we are living up to our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As the Diversity and Inclusion Officer, I am committed to creating a college community that values and celebrates diversity in all its forms. Together, we can build a more inclusive and equitable campus that benefits all students, faculty, and staff. I hope I can count on your vote.